Cadet Flyer Spotlight: Kate Martinez
- Where are you from?
I was born in Ecuador. My father is Columbian and my mother is Ecuadorian but I was raised in Boston.
2. Are you a Dream Flyer, Cadet Flyer or Discovery Flyer?
I was a Discovery Flyer for 7 months but recently I become a Cadet Flyer.
3. What is something most people don’t know about you?
A passion of mine is photography. I became interested in photography because I joined a film class and since then I have developed a passion for photography. I love being able to capture moments.
4. What is your favorite place that you have flown?
Martha’s Vineyard because that was the very first time I had ever been there. I thought flying over the water was beautiful and seeing the lighthouse was absolutely stunning.
5. How long have you been flying with Above the Clouds?
6. How did you find out about Above the Clouds?
I found out about Above the Clouds through my high school principal. She told me about a program that wants to help kids learn how to fly. While we talked, she told me how there aren’t a lot of female pilots in the field which really piqued my interest because I want to be apart of a new generation with more female pilots.
7. What do you love about flying?
I love the rush you get when you take off and you feel the butterflies in your stomach. When I am in the air I have this sense of freedom which allows me to escape from reality. It’s very relaxing.
8. Do you remember your first flight?
I was so nervous my first flight that my hands were trembling as I gripped the yolk. My mentor pilot made everything seem incredibly easy which was reassuring and helped me relax. As we were flying I looked out the window to see the lights of the buildings and the cars which also helped calm my nerves.
9. What is your most memorable Above the Clouds experience?
I will never forget my first flight because of how nervous I was but was able to overcome it and now I have made amazing progress.
10. How has Above the Clouds changed your life?
Above the Clouds has changed my life because they have shown me that there is always new opportunities in every direction. I never thought that I could learn to fly a plane but I took a chance and learned to believe in myself as much as they believed in me.
11. Talk me through a typical day with your pilot
First we talk about what the flight day will look like. Then we check the plane to make sure its all working well. My pilot will ask me questions along the way and anything I don’t know he makes asks me again later to make sure I am learning.
12. What goal do you hope to achieve with the help of Above the Clouds?
My end goal is to get to my solo flight. I really just want to have more knowledge about flying and having more confidence in myself when I’m flying.
13. What advice would you give someone who wants to be a Cadet Flyer?
Being a Cadet Flyer involves a lot of dedication. It’s an amazing experience so if it’s your dream you have to pursue it.
14. Describe Above the Clouds in one word
For more information about our Cadet Flyer program click here